Wednesday 27 August 2014

A Bucket of Ice Water

I recently saw a post on my Facebook wall, It was a 15 second video of one of my relatives taking the “ice bucket challenge” and nominating three of their friends for the same. I couldn’t help myself from commenting and informing that this isn’t a game and is for a larger cause of ALS. As usual ignorance is bliss and westernizing our self is the norm of the times.

The chatter in this country when Modi was elected Prime Minister was never focused on Nationalism although through his speeches he has referred to it multiple times. Indians and especially the new generation of which I am a part have rarely missed an opportunity to ape the West. The trend that began in the early 2000 has rapidly taken over sometimes overlooking some deep intrinsic cultures that prevail in our country. I am for one am advocate of disowning old cultures tenterhooks that prevent us from moving ahead as a country but sometimes I find that as Indians we have a habit of trying to impress the West even if it is sub consciously. While people abroad rave about the culture and values of India we as a people( speaking about a larger mass than a selected few) do not give the same respect to the same. Hence whether it be the ‘selfie’ trend of the ‘ice bucket challenge’ we are usually grossly misinformed or conveniently over look the facts indulging in draping ourselves in out all too Westernized living style.

What I found very demeaning about this post and several after was that pouring of water somehow was meant to stave off our adventurous spirit or the very feral mindset of following a trend somehow unconnected but which gave us a social standing of being better than others. No matter how much you love being in the limelight, a social cause deserves your respect.

But I am sure many more people will indulge in this game ignoring it’s true purpose. I just wish the bucket was of ‘ice cream’ and I could get a bite or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment