Saturday 7 July 2012

The Amazing Spiderman - Soul is missing


Being a fan of the original Spiderman Trilogy my expectations from the new franchise were minimal. Though I will be the first person to accept that the original three movies had flaws which increased with each new sequel. But it was a fun ride with Tobey Maguire underplaying Peter Parker beautifully.I noticed Andrew Garfield first in The Social Network but never expected him to rise so fluidly to head a big banner production such as this, though trying very hard and getting it mostly right I still prefer Tobey. Call me rigid, call me stubborn that man brought out the nuiances of the comic on screen.

On with the review, the new Spiderman tries to capture the school years of Peter Parker and his journey from the nerdy school kid to everyone neighbour Spidey. A drastic change in approach by Marc Webb as he interpreted the superhero was the witty sense of humor and a lighter feel to this film. As the story goes Peter Parker's father and his partner come across a new research and try to generate a human without weakness while under pressure from Oscorp and experimenting on himself Dr Connors turn into the Lizard. 

I was quite dissapointed with the overall scheme of the movie where it never felt completely right. I just was not engaged to the plot and somehow everything felt as if I have seen it before. I could not fathom why a successfull franchise be rebooted when it could not be taken forward. Nothing in the movie was exceptional, everything was just OK. The set pieces were good, money well spent. But barring from a few funny scenes and a beautiful looking Emma Stone I could hardly fathom why someone would bother recreating a successful franchise, the dearth of creative and innovative people within Hollywood or the lack of any dedication to creating original cinema is missing as we see old movies getting rebooted and being told in exactly the same manner as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment