Friday 27 July 2012

TDKR: Will miss you Batman


To confess at the start I am a huge Batman fan, ever since I was exposed to Comics I have found Batman intriguing to say the least. Its the simplicity of a man without any extraordinary powers trying to bring justice to his city.  I admire him for his tenacity, his will to be morally just. For me he is the superhero we need, we deserve.
When I saw Batman Begins it brought out the old memories of the Batman Animated Series and how we saw him then, and how real it all feels now. I knew that Christopher Nolan was a genius and he will justify this Comic book adaptations. But somehow the first one felt incomplete, then came "The Dark Knight", the movie still gives me goosebumps to the sheer excitement of catching it on the first day, to clearly amazed at how brilliantly The Batman was showcased. I had always believed The Joker to be the perfect contrast to the Bat, but when it all played out its was magic. I could have never in my dreams thought that a character can outperform the Bat in his own yard. But Heath Ledger gave us a gem before he left us and he will be always remembered as the man who perfected the Joker. After four years of ardent wait I was completely fanatic about catching Rises as soon as possible.
So here we have Gotham, either years forth after the events of the TDK clean from organised crime through powers of a lie and putting the corrupted Harvey Dent on a pedestal. Then we have Bane a muscular genius looking to bring Gotham to its feet by creating mayhem and chaos and of course we have The Batman in hibernation for eight years. What follows is a thrilling ride of amazing set pieces, great battles and a fantastic finale.
All of Nolan's creativity came into play while looking to end this trilogy in a satisfying manner. When I look at the complexity of the script and the characters I can see why it took Nolan four years to come back. Everyone performs exceptionally well,but some obviously stand out. Firstly Selena Kyle, Cat-woman an interesting addition was played exceptionally well by Anne Hathaway, she brought along all the nuances and grace required. Tom Hardy was brilliant in Inception and his physicality scared the wits out of me with his portrayal of Bane. He infused life into his character and his voice transition was perfect.Some of the other minor characters all did it well. I felt the role of Miranda did not suit Marion Cotillard.
Now to come to the man himself "The Batman", Christian Bale is an exceptional performer he gives all his synergy to his craft and he just display the perfect balance of emotion and muscle to bring Batman to life. Many have tried but without contention Bale takes the cake.
The story is layered and complicated, it has many dimensions and many of my friends have come back to me saying "this does not add up". What they should understand that it is impossible to end a series that can go on for ever and when you need to find an end where none exists certain liberties have to be undertaken, goodbyes are tough and tougher even to portray.All I can say is this movie keeps you hooked and holds you tight, I will not judge you if you drop a tear because with this movie ends one of the greatest trilogy ever made and it will not come back.
I will end by saying as one cop does to another when Batman returns to Gotham-"You're in for a show"

No comments:

Post a Comment